Results are only viewable after voting.

Eli

Team CubeCraft
🔨 Moderator
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia
Pronouns
He/They
As some of you know, last week we were delighted with the return of the long awaited "LTM Gamemode": Team Lucky Islands, and it seems like our playerbase has welcomed it back with open arms. The return of this gamemode comes after countless suggestion threads, tickets, and community corner posts requesting for TLI to return to Java. Now that it has, it has been a week and a half, and it has consistently been getting more players than Solo Lucky Islands every day, at any time of the day.​

I was holding off on making this thread until we had proof that the gamemode wasn't just benefitting from the hype of its return, and of course, being placed front and center in the Main Lobby. But it seems like the numbers speak for themselves and TLI is a significantly popular gamemode in its own merit. However, I do not consider it is popular enough for it to make its return as a permanent gamemode on CubeCraft, at least not as long as Solo LI is also there. It is expected to have a slight reduction in players as more people return to school and work by the end of summer, and as its return becomes old news.
CubeCraft should benefit from the large communities that love both their Solo and Team modalities and find ways to offer both kinds of players an opportunity to enjoy their favorite games, without oversaturating the playerbase with too many gamemode options.
Context

Back in Oct 2nd 2018, CubeCraft Java saw one of its biggest changes yet: The Big Change. This update removed a big majority of CubeCraft Java's gamemodes, in response to a significant reduction in players at the time, this change was intended to allow the remaining games to get more players and start faster if the general playerbase wasn't split in so many gamemodes, and allow the development team to focus on maintaing and updating fewer games. The Big Change introduced a mystery NPC, that was later revealed to be a Featured Game NPC, which featured Minerware first. The featured game NPC was intended to feature one of CubeCraft's deleted games every 2 weeks, this modality was massively popular, popular enough to get Minerware added back as a permanent game, and all the other gamemodes received consistent attention.
1725116423956.png

"This is where you'll be able to find our seasonal games (with one coming soon ;)) and out of season they'll be a different game every 2 weeks." Caption and Image taken from: https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/the-big-change.212513/

As time passed both the community and staff realized that a certain gamemode was significantly more popular than the others: BlockWars. And on Feburary 23rd, 2021, it received its own Featured Game NPC. Which featured a rotation between BlockWars CTF, BlockWars Core, and BlockWars Bridges. Three games beloved by the community. This system worked particularly well and was maintained until September 1st, 2022, when more gamemodes had to be cut from the network for similar reasons as what happened in 2018.

As you can see, the featured game NPCs have a countdown of the time that is left for the next modality to be featured, BlockWars used to rotate for 2 days, and I personally think that is the best amount of time, it's not too long so that those who like the other modes don't go long without playing, but it's still long enough to enjoy a good chunk of playtime every once in a while.
Proposals

I propose to turn both the SkyWars NPC and the Lucky Islands NPCs into two Featured Game NPCs respectively, and have them rotate their solo and team modalities every once in a while. As I mentioned above, I think 2 days is an ideal rotation period, and its been proven to work in the past, but I have placed a poll at the top of this post to see if people think otherwise. The pros of implementing this rotation system are:​
  • Caters to both Team & Solo communities for both SW and LI.​
  • Does not risk having either gamemode take longer to start matches because they wouldn't overshadow each other, instead they share the spotlight.​
  • Keeps players interested to log into CubeCraft to see if the mode has changed.​
  • Allows CubeCraft to use its vast map library that has been crafted for so many years for both the Team and Solo modalities.​
  • Answers the pleads of both SW and LI communities alike to return the Team modalities in a permanent manner.​
  • Team modalities are friendlier for parties and making friends.​
  • Moderation staff should see a reduction in Teaming infractions on both SW and LI, which from my experience, seem much higher now that there are no Team modalities.​

That's all! Thank you for reading, let me know what you think!​

Reesle

Forum Expert
May 25, 2022
Canada
As some of you know, last week we were delighted with the return of the long awaited "LTM Gamemode": Team Lucky Islands, and it seems like our playerbase has welcomed it back with open arms. The return of this gamemode comes after countless suggestion threads, tickets, and community corner posts requesting for TLI to return to Java. Now that it has, it has been a week and a half, and it has consistently been getting more players than Solo Lucky Islands every day, at any time of the day.​

I was holding off on making this thread until we had proof that the gamemode wasn't just benefitting from the hype of its return, and of course, being placed front and center in the Main Lobby. But it seems like the numbers speak for themselves and TLI is a significantly popular gamemode in its own merit. However, I do not consider it is popular enough for it to make its return as a permanent gamemode on CubeCraft, at least not as long as Solo LI is also there. It is expected to have a slight reduction in players as more people return to school and work by the end of summer, and as its return becomes old news.
CubeCraft should benefit from the large communities that love both their Solo and Team modalities and find ways to offer both kinds of players an opportunity to enjoy their favorite games, without oversaturating the playerbase with too many gamemode options.
Context

Back in Oct 2nd 2018, CubeCraft Java saw one of its biggest changes yet: The Big Change. This update removed a big majority of CubeCraft Java's gamemodes, in response to a significant reduction in players at the time, this change was intended to allow the remaining games to get more players and start faster if the general playerbase wasn't split in so many gamemodes, and allow the development team to focus on maintaing and updating fewer games. The Big Change introduced a mystery NPC, that was later revealed to be a Featured Game NPC, which featured Minerware first. The featured game NPC was intended to feature one of CubeCraft's deleted games every 2 weeks, this modality was massively popular, popular enough to get Minerware added back as a permanent game, and all the other gamemodes received consistent attention.
View attachment 233015
"This is where you'll be able to find our seasonal games (with one coming soon ;)) and out of season they'll be a different game every 2 weeks." Caption and Image taken from: https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/the-big-change.212513/

As time passed both the community and staff realized that a certain gamemode was significantly more popular than the others: BlockWars. And on Feburary 23rd, 2021, it received its own Featured Game NPC. Which featured a rotation between BlockWars CTF, BlockWars Core, and BlockWars Bridges. Three games beloved by the community. This system worked particularly well and was maintained until September 1st, 2022, when more gamemodes had to be cut from the network for similar reasons as what happened in 2018.

As you can see, the featured game NPCs have a countdown of the time that is left for the next modality to be featured, BlockWars used to rotate for 2 days, and I personally think that is the best amount of time, it's not too long so that those who like the other modes don't go long without playing, but it's still long enough to enjoy a good chunk of playtime every once in a while.
Proposals

I propose to turn both the SkyWars NPC and the Lucky Islands NPCs into two Featured Game NPCs respectively, and have them rotate their solo and team modalities every once in a while. As I mentioned above, I think 2 days is an ideal rotation period, and its been proven to work in the past, but I have placed a poll at the top of this post to see if people think otherwise. The pros of implementing this rotation system are:​
  • Does not risk having either gamemode take longer to start matches because they wouldn't overshadow each other, instead they share the spotlight.​
  • Keeps players interested to log into CubeCraft to see if the mode has changed.​
  • Allows CubeCraft to use its vast map library that has been crafted for so many years for both the Team and Solo modalities.​
  • Answers the pleads of both SW and LI communities alike to return the Team modalities in a permanent manner.​
  • Moderation staff should see a reduction in Teaming infractions on both SW and LI, which from my experience, seem much higher now that there are no Team modalities.​

This is such a good idea! This change would help attract old and new players alike, and hopefully help increase Java’s player numbers and revive some long-lost communities.
I really hope Cam sees this to discuss it with the Cubecraft Team.
A definite :agree: from me!

Herrero

Mar 4, 2017
I think this is a very good idea. Especially because among the current cubecraft gamemodes only two are team games, being EggWars and BedWars (games with a very similar concept). The problem I see with this is that, if there are few games to play in teams, it is more difficult for the community to grow. This is a good way to add variety to the server without adding too many new games, and avoid increasing the waiting time.

The only problem I see is that in team games, many more players are needed for the games to start, but the maps can be reduced so that fewer players are needed per game, as has already been done in other gamemodes.

_EliteDavy

Novice Member
Nov 21, 2021
Hungary
Pronouns
He/Him

Context

View attachment 233015

Proposals

It is a good idea overall, I hate waiting 3 months for a rotation, and when it comes sometimes they remove good maps and rotate bad maps, just like they removed dust and rotated tron in.
The only issue is that I don't think that they can rotate the maps in 1-2 days, 1 or 2 weeks seems more flexible.
But still a :agree: for me

Eli

Team CubeCraft
🔨 Moderator
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia
Pronouns
He/They
It is a good idea overall, I hate waiting 3 months for a rotation, and when it comes sometimes they remove good maps and rotate bad maps, just like they removed dust and rotated tron in.
The only issue is that I don't think that they can rotate the maps in 1-2 days, 1 or 2 weeks seems more flexible.
But still a :agree: for me
I am suggesting to rotate between Team & Solo modes, not the maps :P although of course now that you mention it that would have an effect on map rotations, but I would personally just keep it in the same frequency.

_EliteDavy

Novice Member
Nov 21, 2021
Hungary
Pronouns
He/Him
I am suggesting to rotate between Team & Solo modes, not the maps :P although of course now that you mention it that would have an effect on map rotations, but I would personally just keep it in the same frequency.
Oh wait.....
I see xD
I'm a bit blind nowadays. I guess I'm getting old.
Gamemode rotation sounds good too, but I think I would still rotate it every week

Reactions: Reesle and Eli

Blom

Forum Expert
Sep 12, 2018
MinerWare Town
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
Even though I agree with the reasoning given, I think having a featured game cycle of any kind is not beneficial for the network as a whole. I have gone in depth about it in this thread, but specifically for this case I have some more issues with it.

First of all: slippery slope fallacy. Having a rotation system for two games will likely result into more games getting a rotation similar to this one. As such, more games will be unavailable at the same moment even though they are advertised being on the network. Now I do think this would not matter for Lucky Islands, but it matters more for SkyWars (where team is more important overall in my opinion, since it eliminates a big luck factor from Lucky Islands which makes every game unpredictable). Let's say this rotation works slightly, CubeCraft would have to watch out not to add this to games like EggWars where it could be more catastrophic.

Secondly, even though you mention there is a large group that enjoys both team and solo Lucky Islands, there is definitely a big preference in both. If this would not be the case, the ratio of people that would play teams to the people that play solo right now would be closer to 1:1, where it currently is 2:1 (and sometimes even 3:1). Keeping both will still take out a big group of people that enjoys the one much more compared to the other.

In my opinion, it would be better to let the group settle in (as there is still LTM hype), then decide on the amount of players which one of the two to keep. Then after a year or so, you could try again to add the one you removed back, evaluate again and make the decision again.

I do agree with keeping both not being a good idea. I also agree with the fact that there are a lot of people that enjoy both and that having too much gamemodes is harmful for the network. I disagree however with the rotation system, hence I voted unsure for now. Would love to hear your thoughts on this though!

• Agree
Reactions: Loskol and Reesle

Eli

Team CubeCraft
🔨 Moderator
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia
Pronouns
He/They
First of all: slippery slope fallacy. Having a rotation system for two games will likely result into more games getting a rotation similar to this one. As such, more games will be unavailable at the same moment even though they are advertised being on the network. Now I do think this would not matter for Lucky Islands, but it matters more for SkyWars (where team is more important overall in my opinion, since it eliminates a big luck factor from Lucky Islands which makes every game unpredictable). Let's say this rotation works slightly, CubeCraft would have to watch out not to add this to games like EggWars where it could be more catastrophic.
I'm not sure how previously unavailable gamemodes showing up every once in a while would result in there being less games available altogether? Sure it takes away from some of the existing modes but that is part of the sacrifice for game diversity, just how some maps are unfortunately unavailable most of the time because they need to be rotated, it's not ideal but it's a realistic adjustment to the technical limitations of the Java network.

I agree that EggWars would be a bad idea which is why I never mentioned it. I also don't see any other gamemode who could get a rotation apart from SW and TLI, so your only concern seems to be EggWars, which I'm sure our Admins and Devs are very aware of its fragile nature.

where it currently is 2:1 (and sometimes even 3:1). Keeping both will still take out a big group of people that enjoys the one much more compared to the other.
I'm not sure if this is always true, but when I've had the chance to check (later at night when we get 400 players) the difference is usually a 10-20 player gap, that is not a 2:1 ratio much less 3:1. If that does happen in the earlier hours however, we need to account for the recency of TLI's return, and the fact that it is placed right in front of your face when you join the server, that has a big impact on a player's decision making when choosing a game.

The good thing about the featuring system is that it's very dynamic and adjustable, if CubeCraft begins to see one of the modes is lacking popularity, they can simply pull the plug and just feature one of them, OR feature one of them for longer periods of time than the other.

I agree, but If one of games is team, another should be solo
This is a VERY important consideration that I had not kept in mind, and I 100% agree. The system should ALWAYS have a team and solo modality being featured, so that would mean Solo SW would always be with Team Lucky, and vice versa.

Minerware would be ideal though!
The thing with Minerware is that it would require its own NPC, it's not easily swappable with any of our current gamemodes, so it's not really an option because the playerbase is already diluted enough with the three new gamemodes that our lobby has to offer since the last few months.

Members Online

Latest profile posts

YeoXuHang wrote on Sweetenerera's profile.
Happy Birthday
Reesle wrote on UltraGameCoder's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🥳
Reesle wrote on Wave Master7S's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🌊 🎂
Reesle wrote on Sweetenerera's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🍰🎈
Top Bottom